thumbnail

U.S. States Without Individual Income Tax

Planning to retire? Which 8 states do not impose an INDIVIDUAL income tax of any kind?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax
Note: New Hampshire has a tax on dividends and interest income
Quiz by CPAmt
Rate:
Last updated: August 26, 2022
You have not attempted this quiz yet.
First submittedNovember 10, 2017
Times taken26,561
Average score62.5%
Rating4.11
1:00
Enter answer here
0
 / 8 guessed
The quiz is paused. You have remaining.
Scoring
You scored / = %
This beats or equals % of test takers also scored 100%
The average score is
Your high score is
Your fastest time is
Keep scrolling down for answers and more stats ...
States
Alaska
Florida
Nevada
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Washington
Wyoming
11 Comments
+9
Level 55
Mar 23, 2020
This is a little vague as to what no income tax is. True, there are seven states with absolutely no income tax but there are nine states (including New Hampshire and Tennessee this time) which don't tax wages. I would like a little more clarity as to what the boundaries are for this quiz.
+2
Level 93
Mar 5, 2022
Tennessee has also stopped taxing investment income and interest in 2021.
+1
Level 62
Sep 2, 2022
Tennessee is on the list, was off till 2021. List likely will change in 2023 as well, with NH perhaps removing the investment and interest tax on individuals. One other may be added but I suspect the state supreme court in that state will rule against a capital gains tax which the governor Inslee is saying is not an income tax. He is money hungry and Capital gains tax on individuals is indeed an income tax and is contrary to the RCW in Washington. Waste of time and money Inslee.
+1
Level 67
Sep 12, 2022
Tennessee also doesn't have schools.
+1
Level 62
Sep 1, 2022
This is states which have no income tax whatsoever. The laws change year to year. In 2020 there were only 7 states, In 2021 Tennessee stopped their tax on investments and interest but up until then had that tax which was an income tax. New Hampshire has tax on investments and interest but appears to be repealing that beginning in 2023. One other state has proposed a tax on capital gains, but it will very likely be rejected by the supreme court of that state because their RCW does not allow an income tax which a capital gain tax is. Tax law when it comes to states is a bit crazy even for those of us who practice as CPA's it requires daily monitoring. Thanks MGT... CPA
+4
Level 81
Sep 2, 2022
Well, Hell.

Washington would have been one of the very last states I would have guessed...

+2
Level 86
Sep 2, 2022
They make up for it (at least in Seattle) with high sales tax.
+1
Level 62
Sep 2, 2022
Now 10.25% and nothing to show for it. King County 10.1 or 10%. Lowest sales taxes are in Eastern Washington. The state charges 6.5%. Municipalities can add up to 3.75% which one did, you named it, City of Seattle.

Don't forget high property values which translates into high property tax. But California, NY and a dozen other states have higher overall tax burden than Washington.

+1
Level 81
Oct 7, 2022
Same thing with Tennessee... average sales tax rate there is 9.55%, and they even tax food in Tennessee. Almost nothing escapes their sales tax.
+1
Level 81
Oct 7, 2022
@CPAmt :

Actually, California has lower total tax burden for most citizens than does Washington. Only if you're in the top 15% of earners do you have lower taxes in Washington than in California. For the remaining 85%, California has lower taxes.

+1
Level 76
Jun 30, 2023
The 50 states in one minute quiz helped me here.