JetPunk Word Search - A Year of Searching
First published: Sunday February 5th, 2023
As many of you will know by now, JetPunk's Daily Word Search has come to an end after one whole year of daily puzzles. The response we have seen from this minigame was very positive, and the results (as you will soon see) were also very positive.
However, the time commitment to make these puzzles, without mistake, every single day was proving too difficult to maintain over a long time. Thus, this is why the word search had to come to an end.
And just how well did this minigame do? Well... Quickfire stats returns!
- 1,106,375 total takes
- 36,636 unique logged-in users
- 148,741 unique people played at least 1 word search
- 79.7% of takes were at 100%
- 15,924 unique people played at least 10 puzzles
- 4,806 unique people played at least 50 puzzles
- 2,313 unique people played at least 100 puzzles
- 1,000 unique people played at least 182 puzzles
- 11 people attempted every single word search puzzle (listed in the Top Players section)
- A total of 36,861 letters were used to form all the grids (that's 101 average)
- A total of 7000 words were used (19.2 average)
- All the words were made up of 43,351 letters total
- There were 261 square puzzles
- There were 68 rectangular puzzles
- There were 36 hexagonal puzzles
So, now we know some overall stats, let's find out the top puzzles in various categories!
Puzzles by Takes
|353||Thursday 19th Jan. 2023||Emoji||4,450 takes|
|351||Tuesday 17th Jan. 2023||Islands||4,397 takes|
|346||Thursday 12th Jan. 2023||Fruit||4,358 takes|
|352||Wednesday 18th Jan. 2023||'F' Adjectives||4,335 takes|
|357||Monday 23rd Jan. 2023||Trees||4,322 takes|
|1||Tuesday 1st Feb. 2022||Countries||1,313 takes|
|6||Sunday 6th Feb. 2022||Generic Clues||1,459 takes|
|5||Saturday 5th Feb. 2022||Hidden Countries||1,702 takes|
|13||Sunday 13th Feb. 2022||Generic Clues||1,717 takes|
|4||Friday 4th Feb. 2022||Red Things||1,838 takes|
What is obvious here is how far it had come from the start being lower and all the top days being in the final month! However, it should be noted that the first day (Feb 1st 2022) was only a half day, as it got released halfway through the day. And also several teething issues at the start meant lower takes.
With this in mind, the most/fewest takes for puzzles not in January or February was Tuesday 15th November 2022 with Capital Cities gaining 4,253 takes, and then Sunday 2nd October 2022 with 'Play' Languages, gaining only 1,970 takes.
Puzzles by Words
This one is impossible to collate into a table, since only 1 puzzle ever had 10 words (Hidden Saturday on 30th April 2022), with a further 16 puzzles having 11 words. Then the 5 megas of course achieved the most words, with Mega Countries on 29th January 2023 achieving 90 words. Outside of the megas, two puzzles achieved 32 words, namely Geography Tuesday on 29th November 2022 and World Cup 2022 on 18th December 2022.
Puzzles by Difficulty
These are defined by how many users achieved 100%. If you did not find all the words, then your score was submitted based on however many you found that day, providing you found at least 1 word.
|21||Monday 21st Feb. 2022||Palindromes||99.3%|
|126||Monday 6th Jun. 2022||Weather||99.1%|
|147||Monday 27th Jun. 2022||Fruits||99.0%|
|182||Monday 1st Aug. 2022||Trees||98.9%|
|105||Monday 16th May 2022||Summer||98.9%|
|26||Saturday 26th Feb. 2022||Hidden Countries||7.4%|
|12||Saturday 12th Feb. 2022||Hidden Countries||7.8%|
|82||Saturday 23rd Apr. 2022||Hidden Countries||8.9%|
|5||Saturday 5th Feb. 2022||Hidden Countries||10.7%|
|145||Saturday 25th Jun. 2022||Hidden Countries||11.0%|
All 5 of the easiest puzzles were on Mondays. This is perhaps unsurprising, given the theme for Monday was always "Easy Monday". This meant there were never backwards words, and generally smaller puzzles. Palindromes being the easiest is also unsurprising, as it's very easy to spot the words because they are reflective.
The hardest puzzles were all Saturday's, since you didn't know how many words each puzzle had. To add to this, most of these puzzles were larger Saturday puzzles and also all of them had "embedded" words. Saturday puzzles were the only ones where "embeddings" were allowed, and this meant that a word was entirely contained within another. For example if the puzzle contained "Somalia", then it also contains "Mali" inside that. This tripped a lot of people up early on, but most learnt to look for them eventually.
Now we come to the part many have been waiting for - the best players of Word Search. Now, "best" here should come with the very important connotation of "commited", since playing every single day for 365 days in a row is a serious feat! Without further ado...
Players by Score
Below are the top 20 players by score. I have a full list of the top 100, which is too long to show here, but if you achieved 6538 or more words I can lookup your position for you.
|Top Scoring Users|
|Top Scoring Users|
The Committed Eleven
As noted before, 11 players attempted every single word search JetPunk's minigame offered to them. While we know 3 of these users for sure, since they found every word, who are the other 8? In fact, many are in the top 20 above, but 3 are not (score and rank given after)! The 11 users who attempted every single grid are:
Aficionado, DiscoBayGolfer (#30 - 6857 words), Elboy, Kesa1979, lele20 (#31 - 6851 words), MiaTheGoose, NonoMcNono783 (#21 - 6912 words), peakguru, Simon1006, Stewart and Vicky.
Now we come to the fastest players. Those that consider themselves speed maestros at completing the Word Search. This is calculated as the time taken for the first person to complete the puzzle that day, since you could leave the page and come back, it meant that this was the only accurate way of timing it. The fastest time for first completions were:
|344||Monday 9th Jan. 2023||Easy Words||Liam||23 seconds|
|43||Monday 14th Mar. 2022||Pi Day||Liam||27 seconds|
|330||Monday 26th Dec. 2022||Boxing||Liam||42 seconds|
|328||Saturday 24th Dec. 2022||Hidden Countries||Modestus||47 seconds|
|57||Monday 28th Mar. 2022||Shapes||rg1227||49 seconds|
As you can see, this leaderboard was dominated by Liam. In fact, see the chart below to see just how many word searches Liam was the first to complete! Only those with 4 or more wins are included.
So what other stats can I pull out? Well here's a chart of all the takes of all the word searches by day:
And another one showing the takes by day of the week:
And then this one shows the number of puzzles that have the number of words:
And another one showing the number of unique people who completed that many word searches total:
I was really happy with this graph, because it so clearly shows such a smooth pattern, showing how people naturally taper off in interest.
And now, enjoy just a list of other stats I acquired. If you think of more ideas feel free to let me know and I'll consider adding them!
- The Word Search page was the 19th most viewed page from February 1st 2022 to January 31st 2023.
- A total of just over 400 MILLION seconds were spent playing the word search. That's over 6.6 million minutes, or over 111 thousand hours, or over 4,625 days! In short, it's a lot of time spent on the page!
- On average, 14.9% of takes were played in Dark Mode. This compares to 3.5% average for quizzes!
- Exactly 100 unique people completed one of the word search puzzles the fastest (as opposed to Liam who completed 133 of them the fastest!).
- Over 19 million words were found in total across all puzzles and people.
- Over 187 thousand words were found on the Mega Countries puzzle, while a mere 18.9 thousand words were found on the very first Hidden Countries (both extremums).
- Overall, 4,402 unique words were used in the Word Search.
- The most common words used were Iran (31), Oman (28) and Mali (26), unsurprisingly the top 27 were all countries, with Ohio coming in 28th with 12 usages.
- The most common non-geography word was Rose with 7 usages, thanks to being a Color, Flower, "Red Thing" and also a common short word. After Rose was Fire, Iron, Lime, Moon, Peach and Tree all with 6 usages.
- Based on Google Analytics, the most common browsers were Chrome (63.6%), Safari (26.1%), Edge (4.4%) and Firefox (3.4%).
- Based on Google Analytics, the most common country of origins were United States (30.9%), United Kingdom (22.0%), Germany (5.3%) and France (5.0%).
- Based on Google Analytics, the continents break-down was Europe (50.3%), Americas (37.6%), Asia (8.0%), Oceania (3.7%) and Africa (0.4%).
- Based on Google Analytics, 70.4% of takes were from a desktop computer, 28.2% from a mobile phone and 1.4% from a tablet.
- 7.1% of all takes happened within the first hour of a Word Search being available.
- The longest word was Central African Republic at 22 letters, and it appeared only once.
- The 14 countries which were never featured in any JDWS were:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Dominican Republic
- Equatorial Guinea
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Papua New Guinea
- Republic of the Congo
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United Arab Emirates